US probes soldier`s capture in Afghanistan
Kabul: US forces in Afghanistan are
investigating how an American soldier held by the Taliban
disappeared from a military base, while pursuing a massive
manhunt for the private, a spokeswoman said on Friday.
Private First Class Bowe Bergdahl, 23, was
officially listed as missing-captured on July 3, three days
after he failed to turn up for duty. But the circumstances of
his disappearance are unclear.
US military officials originally said he walked off
an outpost in eastern Afghanistan. But in a video clip posted
online at the weekend by his captors, Bergdahl says he was
snatched while on patrol.
According to a statement picked up by the US-based
monitoring service SITE Intelligence, Taliban militants
claimed the soldier was drunk.
"The circumstances of his disappearance are
certainly being looked at," a US military spokeswoman in
Kabul, Christine Sidenstricker, told.
"Any time something like this happens we`re
certainly going to investigate how and when it happened to try
to make sure that we have appropriate processes in place, and
rules and procedures are followed."
She was unable to give any details of the
investigation or any preliminary findings, but said the hunt
for the soldier continued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday