US report highlights HR violations in Nepal
Kathmandu: A US government report has
painted a grim picture of human rights situation in Nepal
saying the country has reported 229 killings in 2009 besides
numerous cases of arbitrary arrests, torture and manhandling.
According to Human Rights Report of the US government,
security forces in Nepal killed 37 people, while Maoists
killed four. Similarly, Terai armed groups killed 21 and 141
people were murdered by unknown groups.
During the year, the number of persons who disappeared
are put at 835 by National Human Rights Commission and 1,365
by International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
There were numerous cases of arbitrary arrests and
detention, torture besides manhandling by state authorities
during the period, the report added.
Conflict also escalated significantly in the troubled
Terai region, according to the report. Numerous armed groups,
many ethnically based, clashed with each other and with the
local people resulting in violence, it said.
Police had a limited mandate and were unable fully to
maintain law and order. Members of the Maoists, the
Maoist-affiliated Young Communist League and other ethnically-
based splinter groups in the Terai frequently committed acts
of violence, extortion and intimidation throughout the year.
The report has also raised alarm bells over the forceful
repatriation of the Tibetans who fled Tibet through Nepal into
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price