US’ review of passenger screening policy ‘great success’ for Pak: Qureshi
Islamabad: Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has hailed the United States’ decision to review its passenger screening policies, and described it as a ‘great success’ for his country.
Pakistan was on the list of 14 countries whose citizens had to go for full body screening before boarding a plane to the US.
“US congresswoman Sheila Jackson and American Ambassador Anne Patterson told me that America has decided to take back its decision of screening all Pakistanis. It’s a great success and the government will give the nation more such good news,” The Daily Times quoted Qureshi, as saying.
On Friday, reports in the media said that Washington is planning to discontinue its policy of nationality based security checks of America bound travellers, and would now select passengers for special scrutiny at airports on possible matches to intelligence information, including physical descriptions or a particular travel pattern.
According to senior officials, following immense criticism of the ‘discriminate’ screening of citizens from 14 specific countries, it was decided that passengers would now be asked for additional security checks if they match certain pieces of known intelligence.
Islamabad has been vehemently opposing the US’ ‘strip search’ laws.
The Pakistani leadership, including Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, has appealed to the Obama administration on several occasions to remove the country’s name from the list of countries whose citizens have to undergo ‘full body screening’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared