US says no exclusive bounty for Hafiz Saeed
Islamabad: US Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron P Munter has blamed the Pakistani media for "misreporting the issue of Hafiz Saeed" and said the US government did not announce any bounty "specifically" for the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief.
"Pakistani media is very active and responsible but it misreported the issue of Hafiz Saeed. Though Hafiz Saeed is a suspected accused of the Mumbai terror attacks, the US government didn`t place any bounty/head money for him," the US diplomat said.
Munter was replying to media queries after addressing the annual dinner of the American Business Forum (ABF) at the Royal Palm Golf and Country Club here on Saturday.
He said the reward was based on information received that could lead to arrest or conviction of any UN declared terrorist (not specifically Hafiz Saeed) of any country, the Dawn newspaper reported on Sunday.
On Afghan peace efforts, the US envoy said a trilateral meeting of Pakistan, US and Afghanistan was recently held in Islamabad to discuss the situation.
"Though the role of Pakistan and US is to assist the process of dialogue, Afghanistan itself has to make a solution to this issue finally," he added.
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Toiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 that resulted in the deaths of 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17