US seeks to ban ammonium nitrate production in Pak
Islamabad: US is seeking to ban the
production of ammonium nitrate used in fertilizers in Pakistan
as the substance has dual use of making improvised explosive
devices (IED) that have killed hundreds of US soldiers in
American Ambassador Mark Grossman is hoping that a
meeting in Islamabad this week would lead to a ban on the
substance, the Dawn newspaper reported.
The US Defence Department believes that about 85 percent of the Afghan IEDs are made with ammonium nitrate brought from Pakistan.
In his address to Pakistani physicians on Saturday
night, Grossman, the US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and
Pakistan, noted that the IEDs had also killed thousands of
"We hope that the July 5 meeting in Islamabad will
deal with this problem once and for all," he said.
Senator Robert P Casey, a member of the US Senate
Foreign Relations Committee, told more than 2,500 Pakistani
physicians attending the convention that they should use their
influence to convince Pakistan to make a law banning ammonium
Ambassador Grossman said the US administration was
already working with the Pakistani government on the issue and
hoped that the July 5 meeting would lead to a positive result.
Assistant Secretary of State William Brownfield will
lead the US delegation to this meeting of the Strategic
Dialogue Working Group on counter-terrorism and law
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet
- Ground reporting reveals shocking facts about Kashmir unrest
- BJP protests against BSP over 'foul language' used for Dayashankar Singh's daughter
- DNA: Analyzing the complete aspect of UNCIP's resolution on Kashmir
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Blockbuster! 'Sultan' Salman Khan's action drama inching closer to Rs 300 crore
- When hotel staff received complaints about weird noises coming out of Rahul Dravid’s room!
- UP CM Akhilesh Yadav backs Dayashankar's ticket-selling allegation against Mayawati
- Jammu & Kashmir violence: DIG South Kashmir, SSP Anantnag transferred
- What an idea! Harbhajan Singh offers Windies bowlers full-proof plan to stop Virat Kohli