US seeks to ban ammonium nitrate production in Pak
Islamabad: US is seeking to ban the
production of ammonium nitrate used in fertilizers in Pakistan
as the substance has dual use of making improvised explosive
devices (IED) that have killed hundreds of US soldiers in
American Ambassador Mark Grossman is hoping that a
meeting in Islamabad this week would lead to a ban on the
substance, the Dawn newspaper reported.
The US Defence Department believes that about 85 percent of the Afghan IEDs are made with ammonium nitrate brought from Pakistan.
In his address to Pakistani physicians on Saturday
night, Grossman, the US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and
Pakistan, noted that the IEDs had also killed thousands of
"We hope that the July 5 meeting in Islamabad will
deal with this problem once and for all," he said.
Senator Robert P Casey, a member of the US Senate
Foreign Relations Committee, told more than 2,500 Pakistani
physicians attending the convention that they should use their
influence to convince Pakistan to make a law banning ammonium
Ambassador Grossman said the US administration was
already working with the Pakistani government on the issue and
hoped that the July 5 meeting would lead to a positive result.
Assistant Secretary of State William Brownfield will
lead the US delegation to this meeting of the Strategic
Dialogue Working Group on counter-terrorism and law
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India