US seeks to ban ammonium nitrate production in Pak
Islamabad: US is seeking to ban the
production of ammonium nitrate used in fertilizers in Pakistan
as the substance has dual use of making improvised explosive
devices (IED) that have killed hundreds of US soldiers in
American Ambassador Mark Grossman is hoping that a
meeting in Islamabad this week would lead to a ban on the
substance, the Dawn newspaper reported.
The US Defence Department believes that about 85 percent of the Afghan IEDs are made with ammonium nitrate brought from Pakistan.
In his address to Pakistani physicians on Saturday
night, Grossman, the US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and
Pakistan, noted that the IEDs had also killed thousands of
"We hope that the July 5 meeting in Islamabad will
deal with this problem once and for all," he said.
Senator Robert P Casey, a member of the US Senate
Foreign Relations Committee, told more than 2,500 Pakistani
physicians attending the convention that they should use their
influence to convince Pakistan to make a law banning ammonium
Ambassador Grossman said the US administration was
already working with the Pakistani government on the issue and
hoped that the July 5 meeting would lead to a positive result.
Assistant Secretary of State William Brownfield will
lead the US delegation to this meeting of the Strategic
Dialogue Working Group on counter-terrorism and law
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city