US Senate confirms new envoy to Kabul
Washington: The US Senate has confirmed career diplomat James Cunningham as Ambassador to Afghanistan, replacing Ryan Crocker, who stepped down due to health reasons.
The Senate confirmation, among the long list of ambassadors, came as the Congress began a five-week summer break.
Cunningham has been serving as deputy ambassador at the US embassy in Kabul since June 2011. Earlier, he was the US ambassador to Israel. He also held senior US posts in Hong Kong, NATO and the United Nations.
However, the list did not include Richard Olson, the ambassador-designate for Pakistan.
The confirmation hearing for the two envoys were held early this week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!