US Senate confirms new envoy to Kabul
Washington: The US Senate has confirmed career diplomat James Cunningham as Ambassador to Afghanistan, replacing Ryan Crocker, who stepped down due to health reasons.
The Senate confirmation, among the long list of ambassadors, came as the Congress began a five-week summer break.
Cunningham has been serving as deputy ambassador at the US embassy in Kabul since June 2011. Earlier, he was the US ambassador to Israel. He also held senior US posts in Hong Kong, NATO and the United Nations.
However, the list did not include Richard Olson, the ambassador-designate for Pakistan.
The confirmation hearing for the two envoys were held early this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?