US Senate confirms new envoy to Kabul
Washington: The US Senate has confirmed career diplomat James Cunningham as Ambassador to Afghanistan, replacing Ryan Crocker, who stepped down due to health reasons.
The Senate confirmation, among the long list of ambassadors, came as the Congress began a five-week summer break.
Cunningham has been serving as deputy ambassador at the US embassy in Kabul since June 2011. Earlier, he was the US ambassador to Israel. He also held senior US posts in Hong Kong, NATO and the United Nations.
However, the list did not include Richard Olson, the ambassador-designate for Pakistan.
The confirmation hearing for the two envoys were held early this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi