US Senators bring bill to designate Pak Taliban as terror outfit
Washington: A group of US senators will
introduce a legislation in the US Senate on Tuesday to brand the
Pakistan Taliban, found to be linked to the Times Square
failed bombing attempt, as a foreign terrorist organisation.
The legislation to be co-sponsored by Senators
Chuck Schumer, Kirsten Gillibrand and Bob Menendez, would be
introduced in the Senate later in the day, according to a
joint communique by the senators.
The Times Square attempt by Faisal Shahzad was found
to have origins in Pakistan`s restive Waziristan region, with
the Pakistani-American believed to have been trained by the
Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
Pakistan Taliban is so far not listed as a foreign
terrorist organisation by the US State Department. Putting it
on the list would impose travel and financial sanctions on its
The department said recently that it is reviewing the
move to list the group as a terror organisation but were yet
to make a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing