US Senators bring bill to designate Pak Taliban as terror outfit
Washington: A group of US senators will
introduce a legislation in the US Senate on Tuesday to brand the
Pakistan Taliban, found to be linked to the Times Square
failed bombing attempt, as a foreign terrorist organisation.
The legislation to be co-sponsored by Senators
Chuck Schumer, Kirsten Gillibrand and Bob Menendez, would be
introduced in the Senate later in the day, according to a
joint communique by the senators.
The Times Square attempt by Faisal Shahzad was found
to have origins in Pakistan`s restive Waziristan region, with
the Pakistani-American believed to have been trained by the
Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
Pakistan Taliban is so far not listed as a foreign
terrorist organisation by the US State Department. Putting it
on the list would impose travel and financial sanctions on its
The department said recently that it is reviewing the
move to list the group as a terror organisation but were yet
to make a decision.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way