US Senators bring bill to designate Pak Taliban as terror outfit
Washington: A group of US senators will
introduce a legislation in the US Senate on Tuesday to brand the
Pakistan Taliban, found to be linked to the Times Square
failed bombing attempt, as a foreign terrorist organisation.
The legislation to be co-sponsored by Senators
Chuck Schumer, Kirsten Gillibrand and Bob Menendez, would be
introduced in the Senate later in the day, according to a
joint communique by the senators.
The Times Square attempt by Faisal Shahzad was found
to have origins in Pakistan`s restive Waziristan region, with
the Pakistani-American believed to have been trained by the
Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
Pakistan Taliban is so far not listed as a foreign
terrorist organisation by the US State Department. Putting it
on the list would impose travel and financial sanctions on its
The department said recently that it is reviewing the
move to list the group as a terror organisation but were yet
to make a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP