US strike kills Afghan Taliban leader`s son in Pakistan
Islamabad: A son of senior Afghan Taliban leader Jalaluddin Haqqani was among four militants killed in an overnight US air strike in Pakistan`s tribal region bordering Afghanistan, a security official said Friday.
Two missiles fired from a US drone struck a house and a car outside the building in the Dande Darpakhel area of North Waziristan district Thursday, killing four people.
"Informants have confirmed that one of the dead was Mohammad Haqqani (Jalaluddin Haqqani`s son)," the official said on condition of anonymity.
Dande Darpakhel is considered a hotbed of Taliban fighters linked to veteran militant commander Jalaluddin Haqqani, and his son, Sirajuddin Haqqani, who is running his father`s insurgent network.
It was still not clear whether Sirajuddin Haqqani was present at the attack site. The Haqqani network is believed to be one of the deadliest militant groups in Afghanistan.
Thousands of al Qaeda and Taliban militants fled to Pakistan`s tribal region after the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001. Since then they have been using the lawless territory to plan and mount assaults on Western troops in Afghanistan.
Thursday`s drone attack was the fourth since Sunday. The US has stepped up its missile strikes, mostly targeting hideouts in North Waziristan, after a Jordanian double agent killed seven US secret agents in a suicide attack on their base in Afghanistan.
It also came days after Pakistani intelligence agents arrested the Afghan Taliban`s military chief Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar and the movement`s shadow governors for the Afghan provinces of Kunduz and Baghlan.
It is believed that many senior Taliban leaders have crossed into Pakistan following the launch of an ongoing offensive in the Afghan province of Helmand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets