US strongly takes up issue of LeT with Pak
Washington: The Obama administration has strongly taken up with Pakistan the case of Lashkar-e-Toiba, which has emerged as a potent terrorist organisation in the country.
Though the contours of discussion on LeT in the dialogue is not being revealed, a top Obama administration official has confirmed that the US` concerns about Lashkar was raised during the recent `Strategic Dialogue` in which Pakistani delegation was led by its Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi.
"In any conversation with Pakistan on terrorism issues, that does come up, yes," said Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs PJ Crowley, in response to a question at his daily news briefing.
Among those present at the meeting were Pakistani Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and ISI Chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha.
It is understood that top Pak authorities, including Qureshi and Kayani, were asked to rein in and arrest Hafeez Saeed, the mastermind of 26/11 Mumbai attacks, by the US officials not only at the State Department but also at the White House, where they had a meeting with Gen (rtd) James Jones, the National Security Advisor.
The issue also came up for discussion when visiting Pakistani leaders were hosted for dinner by chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen on Wednesday night.
In the past few weeks, several US lawmakers, officials of the Obama administration and think tanks have expressed concern over the dangerous growth of Lashkar-e-Toiba and its continued linkages with the ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof