US supporting Pak effort to defeat extremism
Washington: Ahead of the crucial US-Pak strategic dialogue, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Sunday said that the Obama administration is supporting Pakistan in its fight against extremism that poses threat to its existence and also the region and the other parts of the world.
"The United States is supporting Pakistan`s efforts to strengthen democratic institutions, foster economic development, expand opportunity, and defeat the extremist groups who threaten Pakistan, the region, and even our own country," Hillary said.
"Our broad partnership is based on mutual respect and mutual interest, and this dialogue will be an opportunity to forge even closer ties between our nations," Hillary said in a video message to the people of Pakistan issued on the eve of the Pakistan`s National Day on March 23.
"Pakistan is close to my heart, and I have been privileged to make five visits over the years. And I have seen firsthand how special your country is -- rich with history and culture, blessed with natural beauty, and home to people of unforgettable warmth and strength," she said.
Hillary along with her Pakistani counterpart Shah Muhammad Qureshi chairs the first US Pakistani Strategic Dialogue; being held in Washington on March 24.
"Today, your country is suffering from terrorism and your security forces and civilians are making great sacrifices to fight extremists. The people of the United States will stand by and support Pakistani efforts to build a peaceful and prosperous future," Hillary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre