US taking a `clear-eyed` approach on Pak
Washington: The US, which has suspended
nearly USD 800 million in military aid to Pakistan following its reluctance to go full throttle in the war on terror, says
it has adopted a very "clear-eyed approach" towards Islamabad.
Senior Obama administration officials insisted that
Washington was weighing both the importance of a continued
long-term relationship with Pakistan and the importance of
near-term action on key issues.
"We are taking a very clear-eyed approach - weighing
both the importance of a continued long-term relationship with
Pakistan and the importance of near-term action on key issues
- to our relationship with Pakistan and will continue to work
with their leaders to affirm the importance of cooperating
towards our shared national security objectives," a senior
administration official said.
White House Chief of Staff William Daley in an
interview to the ABC news channel yesterday confirmed that the
US has suspended some USD 800 million in military aid to
Pakistan as it wants Islamabad to adhere to and commit certain
actions which it wants in the war against terrorism.
The military aid running into millions of dollars
would remain suspended till the time, the United States gets
what it wants from Pakistan, Pentagon insisted.
In a meeting with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
here last month, National Security Advisor Tom Donilon said
the US would not cut off its relationship with Pakistan, even
as going forward it would strictly seek accountability from
Pakistan and would strictly enforce "no free pass" policy with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand