US taking a `clear-eyed` approach on Pak
Washington: The US, which has suspended
nearly USD 800 million in military aid to Pakistan following its reluctance to go full throttle in the war on terror, says
it has adopted a very "clear-eyed approach" towards Islamabad.
Senior Obama administration officials insisted that
Washington was weighing both the importance of a continued
long-term relationship with Pakistan and the importance of
near-term action on key issues.
"We are taking a very clear-eyed approach - weighing
both the importance of a continued long-term relationship with
Pakistan and the importance of near-term action on key issues
- to our relationship with Pakistan and will continue to work
with their leaders to affirm the importance of cooperating
towards our shared national security objectives," a senior
administration official said.
White House Chief of Staff William Daley in an
interview to the ABC news channel yesterday confirmed that the
US has suspended some USD 800 million in military aid to
Pakistan as it wants Islamabad to adhere to and commit certain
actions which it wants in the war against terrorism.
The military aid running into millions of dollars
would remain suspended till the time, the United States gets
what it wants from Pakistan, Pentagon insisted.
In a meeting with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
here last month, National Security Advisor Tom Donilon said
the US would not cut off its relationship with Pakistan, even
as going forward it would strictly seek accountability from
Pakistan and would strictly enforce "no free pass" policy with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi