Washington: The much anticipated peace talks between the Taliban and the United States might not happen as well, a US official said on Tuesday, as the Special US envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan left Qatar without any talks with the Afghan insurgent group.
"It might not," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters when asked if there is a possibility of the US-Taliban talks not happening at all.
"The Secretary (of State) said that over the weekend as well. We don`t know one way or another. There were some hopeful signs - a couple of steps forward in terms of opening the office. Clearly, some of the agreement that wasn`t adhered to, but we want to see if we can get it back on track, but we`ll be clear-eyed and continue to see what can happen," he said.
Such a remark came as the Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, James Dobbins, left Doha without having talks with the Taliban.
The Taliban opened its office in Doha last week for talks with the Government of Afghanistan and the United States.
"He (Dobbins) did not meet with the Taliban," Ventrell said in response to a question.
Dobbins is now in Kabul where he met the Afghan President Hamid Karzai. From Afghanistan, he is scheduled to travel to Islamabad and then to New Delhi on Wednesday.
The US is still open to meeting with the Taliban.