US targets 2 Taliban, al Qaeda money men
Washington: US authorities on Wednesday ordered sanctions on two Afghan nationals said to be part of the financial network that supports al Qaeda, the Taliban and the Haqqani network.
The US Treasury named as Specially Designated Global Terrorists Said Jan Abd Al-Salam and Khalil Al-Rahman Haqqani, a move that freezes any assets they hold in US jurisdictions that prohibiting Americans from transactions with them.
Al-Salam was designated for acting for or on behalf of al Qaeda and for providing support to the Taliban.
Haqqani was designated for acting for links to al Qaeda and the Taliban as well as Sirajuddin Haqqani, who heads an al Qaeda-linked militant group operating from Pakistan.
The Treasury said Khalil Haqqani "is among the Haqqani network`s most important figures and fundraisers”.
Al-Salam, meanwhile, has provided funds to the Taliban and al Qaeda "and has facilitated training and weapons acquisition" for al Qaeda, including the operation of a basic training camp in Pakistan.
Treasury Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Stuart Levey said, "Today`s action exposes two consequential sources of financial and tactical support for these terrorist organisations and is part of a larger US and international effort to degrade their capabilities."
Khalil Haqqani is the uncle of Sirajuddin Haqqani, who was designated as a global terrorist by Washington in 2008 and commands a network created by his father, well-known warlord and Soviet resistance commander Jalaluddin Haqqani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?