US to construct priority road in NWFP with Pak
Washington: The United States and Pakistan on Thursday signed a USD 40 million letter of intent regarding cooperation in construction of priority roads in Pakistan`s NWFP to aid in Malakand Reconstruction.
The letter of intent was signed by US Deputy Secretary of State Jacob J Lew and Pakistan’s Finance Secretary Salman Siddique at a ceremony held at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the State Department.
Implementation of the construction project is scheduled to begin following the signature of an Amended Letter of Agreement between the two countries and the obligation of funds.
The project will consist of USD 40 million in United States assistance to upgrade two key roads: the Peshawar Ring Road and the road from Kanju to Madyan in Swat, North West Frontier Province.
The project will involve the construction of approximately 43 kilometres of the Kanju-Madyan road in Swat, NWFP.
This road will facilitate the movements of security forces, help maintain public safety, and address post conflict infrastructure rehabilitation, a media release said.
The Peshawar Ring Road project will reconstruct the ring road, which passes through rural areas, by adding a third truck lane, constructing a four kilometre bypass of the
Hayatabad residential area, and linking the road to the Matani bypass road that the United States is currently supporting.
This road was originally built in the late 1990s as a dual carriage way with two lanes in each direction, but is now the main route for heavy trucks and trailers travelling through the Torkam Pass, the major trade route to and from Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win