`US to continue drone attacks despite ISI protest`
Washington: Despite strong objections raised by the ISI, the US has reportedly decided to continue with its deadly drone attacks on select terrorist targets inside Pakistan.
Pakistan`s intelligence agency ISI chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha, at a meeting on Monday with the CIA director Leon Panetta, had expressed strong concern over the nature of drone attacks.
But the Obama administration has ruled out halting one of its highly successful anti-terror programmes.
"Panetta has an obligation to protect this country (US) and he`s not going to halt any operations that accomplish that objective," a US official was quoted as saying by the ABC News.
Panetta and Pasha met at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, for two hours and 25 minutes, after which Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen joined them for lunch in an adjacent dining room, the report said.
As per the report, some US officials believe that within Pakistan, the ISI is hyping the rift in order to score political points.
These officials say a recent story suggesting that cooperation between the agencies has stopped was "overwritten" and a leak designed to convince an increasingly anti-American Pakistani public that the ISI was showing the CIA who`s boss, it said.
Sources say Pasha did not "scold" the US, as some have depicted it, though he did elaborate on how the CIA officer Raymond Davis case has become such a hot button issue in Pakistan - something the US already knew - the news channel said.
Pakistani officials believe the case increased public anger at the US, which reduces the ISI`s ability to work with the CIA, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir