US to continue work with India, Pak, Afghanistan: Hagel
Washington: A day after NATO forces transferred security responsibilities to Afghan authorities, the US has said will continue to work with India, Pakistan and Afghanistan to further strengthen the regional security.
"The US and international community will continue to work with Afghanistan, Pakistan and India to advance security in this critically important part of the world," Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
In his speech at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, Hagel also observed that rise of nations like China, India and Indonesia will help shape the 21st century. For the first time in 12 years of US and international involvement in Afghanistan, the Afghan forces have formally assumed lead responsibility for security, Hagel noted.
"It keeps us on track to responsibly end the war next year and transition to a far more limited non-combat mission to assist the Afghan government as it takes full responsibility for country`s future," said Hagel.
Hagel said the forces that are reshaping the world include the rising Asian countries, outbreak of revolution and sectarian conflicts across Middle East and North Africa, along with continuing impact of financial crises and recessions in Europe and the rise of China, India and Brazil."These shifts are all interconnected," he said.
Hagel said US is taking the rebalance in Asia Pacific region because of the its growing importance to America`s future security and prosperity.
"America has always been a Pacific power. The rebalance engages America`s relationships with countries across the region, including rising powers like China, India and Indonesia," he said. World nations have an interest in building a world order based on strong economic ties, mutual security interests and respect for rules, norms, and institutions that underpin them, he noted.
"In Asia and beyond, our approach to security in the 21st century is to strengthen alliances, build new partnerships and forge coalitions of common interest that help resolve problems and prevent conflict.
We are doing this in Europe through our renewed commitment to the NATO Alliance and in Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. All of these regions will help define the world`s future," the US Defence Secretary said.
He said the US is employing a lighter-military footprint approach to enhance defence cooperation and the capabilities of allies through military engagements and joint exercises which enables it to respond to the crises more quickly.
Clarifying that US will maintain its capacity to meet its commitments and deter aggression, he said the most sustainable and wisest approach to security in the 21st century will be to help allies in contributing to their own security and common interests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams