US to deploy 13,000 more troops in Afghanistan: Report
Washington: The US, in an unannounced move,
is deploying 13,000 more troops in Afghanistan beyond the
additional 21,000 figure made public by President Barack
The additional troops are primarily support forces
comprising Engineers, Medical personnel, Intelligence experts
and Military Police, Washington Post reported today.
"Their deployment has received little mention by
officials at Pentagon and the White House, who had spoken more
about the combat troops who have been sent to Afghanistan",
the paper said.
These troops are being sent as Obama is till reviewing
request for 40,000 more battle troops by his top commander in
Afghanistan General Stanley McChrystal, who said without this
fresh deployment, the war against Taliban and al-Qaeda would
be hard to turn around.
With these fresh inductions, the deployment of additional
troops in Afghanistan would increase to 34,000, but it will
not change the decision to have the total number of troops in
that country at 68,000, more than double the number there when
Bush left office, the Post said.
The paper said the army and the marine corp were finding
it hard to meet these new requirements as also to find still
more forces if the President okays McChrystal`s request.
The US army has 17 brigades deployed worldwide, including
11 in Iraq and five in Afghanistan. While, marine corp has one
expeditionary brigade in Afghanistan, the paper said quoting
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what