US to hand prison over to Afghans
Bagram (Afghanistan): The US military is handing over to the Afghan government the only detention facility in the country that was under American control. The transfer comes a year after the two sides initially agreed on the handover.
A transfer ceremony was scheduled for on Monday at the Parwan Detention Facility, which is next to the US-run Bagram military base north of Kabul.
The US was supposed to fully hand over the facility last September after signing an agreement to do so a year ago.
But the transfer was held up pending a final deal between the US and the Afghans over the release of dangerous prisoners.
That deal was struck late last week and under it, prisoners considered dangerous would not be released from the detention center.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic