US to hand prison over to Afghans
Bagram (Afghanistan): The US military is handing over to the Afghan government the only detention facility in the country that was under American control. The transfer comes a year after the two sides initially agreed on the handover.
A transfer ceremony was scheduled for on Monday at the Parwan Detention Facility, which is next to the US-run Bagram military base north of Kabul.
The US was supposed to fully hand over the facility last September after signing an agreement to do so a year ago.
But the transfer was held up pending a final deal between the US and the Afghans over the release of dangerous prisoners.
That deal was struck late last week and under it, prisoners considered dangerous would not be released from the detention center.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi