US to hand prison over to Afghans
Bagram (Afghanistan): The US military is handing over to the Afghan government the only detention facility in the country that was under American control. The transfer comes a year after the two sides initially agreed on the handover.
A transfer ceremony was scheduled for on Monday at the Parwan Detention Facility, which is next to the US-run Bagram military base north of Kabul.
The US was supposed to fully hand over the facility last September after signing an agreement to do so a year ago.
But the transfer was held up pending a final deal between the US and the Afghans over the release of dangerous prisoners.
That deal was struck late last week and under it, prisoners considered dangerous would not be released from the detention center.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal