US to hand prison over to Afghans
Bagram (Afghanistan): The US military is handing over to the Afghan government the only detention facility in the country that was under American control. The transfer comes a year after the two sides initially agreed on the handover.
A transfer ceremony was scheduled for on Monday at the Parwan Detention Facility, which is next to the US-run Bagram military base north of Kabul.
The US was supposed to fully hand over the facility last September after signing an agreement to do so a year ago.
But the transfer was held up pending a final deal between the US and the Afghans over the release of dangerous prisoners.
That deal was struck late last week and under it, prisoners considered dangerous would not be released from the detention center.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam