US to hold Pak accountable on many issues: Hillary
Washington: The United States is pushing Pakistan on a ‘range of issues’, on which it will be held accountable, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said.
In her remarks at the Centre for American Progress, Hillary said that the US had no choice but to work with Pakistan in trying to stabilise Afghanistan.
“Everybody knows Pakistan has a big stake in the outcome of what goes on across their border, and they are going to be involved one way or the other,” The Nation quoted Hillary, as saying.
“Part of what we’ve done is to continue to push forward on what our expectations are from Pakistan and hold them accountable on a range of issues that we have laid out for them… Therefore, we are deeply engaged in finding ways to enhance cooperation with Pakistan and to further the Afghan desire for a legitimate peace and reconciliation process,” she added.
Pakistan has to be part of the solution, or they will continue to be part of the problem, she said in response to a question after a lecture on American Global Leadership.
“And, therefore, as frustrating as it is, we just keep everyday going at it and I think we make very slow, sometimes barely discernible progress, but we’re moving in the right direction,” she added.
Her comments came amid continuing tensions between the US and Pakistan, exacerbated by Washington publicly accusing the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) of supporting a militant attack on the US embassy in Kabul on September 13, an allegation that Islamabad has vigorously denied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued