US to press Sri Lanka on human rights abuses
Washington: The United States continues to stress on the importance of ending human rights abuses in Sri Lanka and asks the Rajapaksa Government to return displaced
persons back to home, a senior official has said.
"We continue to stress to the Government of Sri Lanka the
importance of ending human rights abuses, including media
intimidation, investigating and holding accountable those who
are responsible for past abuses, pursuing meaningful steps
towards dialogue and cooperation with Tamil and other minority
communities," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs,
P J Crowley, said.
The Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central
Asia, Robert Blake, was in Sri Lanka in recent days. "Among
the other things he was talking about was to continue to
encourage Sir Lanka in terms of the return of displaced
persons back to their homes," Crowley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!