US to provide Pak 70 mn dollars for NATO supply road reconstruction
Peshawar: The United States will provide up to 70 million dollars as assistance in the reconstruction of the Peshawar-Torkham Highway, which is used by NATO to supply material to its troops in Afghanistan.
"For centuries, the Peshawar to Torkham route has served as the most famous trade path between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Reconstruction of the highway will not only boost trade between these countries but also improve their economies by serving as the trade gateway to the Central Asian states," the Daily Times quoted US Consulate General in Peshawar, USAID Mission Director Jock Conly, as saying in a press statement.
The 46-kilometre road is part of Pakistan``s N-5 highway (Grand Trunk Road), which was built by Sher Shah of Sur in the 16th century and remains the shortest route to Afghanistan and the Central Asian states.
Most NATO supplies pass through the Torkham border crossing point and the current dilapidated condition of the road has slowed down the supplies.
"The current road`s outdated design has sustained substantial wear. The new design will feature improved specifications that will widen the roadbed, straighten out sharp turns, and reduce steep gradients," the statement said, adding that the plans also included rebuilding bridges and culverts to make it an all-weather road.
The project will be managed by FATA Secretariat and monitored by the National Highway Authority (NHA).
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures
- TN polls: DMK promises metro rail service for Coimbatore