US urges Sri Lanka commitment over reconciliation
Colombo: The United States which moved a UN resolution against Sri Lanka has once again reiterated its call for expeditious action to achieve reconciliation with the Tamil minority.
The US Assistant Secretary of State, Central and South Asian Affairs, Robert Blake told reporters here today that, "It is incumbent upon the government to show that it is committed by doing everything it can to move ahead as quickly as possible on the full range of actions that were mentioned in the LLRC report."
Blake said he had discussed with Sri Lanka the need for accelerated progress to implement the recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) and the National Action Plan.
"I emphasised the importance of progress in reducing the role and profile of the military in the north, and full respect for human rights."
On issues of accountability Blake said that three years after the end of the conflict, there can be a credible and transparent accounting, investigation and prosecution of serious allegations of human rights violations.
"I also urged that the Northern Provincial Council elections be held as soon as possible and encouraged an early resumption of talks between the Tamil National Alliance and the government to agree on powers to be devolved to the provinces", he said.
Sri Lanka however wants northern elections to happen only by September 2013.
The US pressure came as Sri Lanka hosts a team of technical experts from the office of the UN Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay.
Pillay`s team`s visit is a direct result of the March resolution at the UNHRC, moved by US and backed by India.
The team is expected to offer technical assistance to Sri Lanka for implementation of the LLRC recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees