US welcomes lifting of travel curbs on Haqqani
Washington: Expressing gratification over
the lifting of travel curbs imposed on former envoy to the
United States Husain Haqqani by the Pakistan`s apex court,
Washington has said that it wants to see him "treated fairly".
"We are gratified that the government of Pakistan has
lifted the travel ban on ambassador Haqqani, specifically the
Supreme Court of Pakistan, and that he`s free to travel as he
chooses," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told
reporters at her daily news conference.
"We continue to expect that Pakistan will resolve this
situation and other internal issues in a transparent manner
and uphold Pakistani laws and constitution," she said when
asked about the lifting of travel restrictions on Haqqani.
Nuland said she is not sure of any US visa application by
Haqqani, but if there were any that would be a matter of visa
"I don`t think that we necessarily needed a backchannel,"
she said when asked if the US indulged in any backchannel
talks on this issue.
"I`ve been pretty clear here, as has the Secretary, that
we want to see him treated fairly and that we were watching
the situation," she said.
The travel ban imposed on Pakistan`s ex-ambassador was
lifted yesterday by the country`s highest court, which also
gave the judicial commission two more months to complete its
probe in the memo scandal.
The scandal triggered a standoff between the civilian
government and the powerful military, which urged the apex
court to order an investigation.
The court also said that the panel would decide on
controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz`s
request to record his statement outside the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know