‘US won’t trust Pak totally till end of Afghan Haqqani network’
Washington: The United States may have described the just-concluded strategic dialogue with Pakistan as ‘a new beginning’ in their bilateral relationship, but it would be a mistake to read that as an indication about the long standing trust deficit being bridged.
According to noted Washington Post columnist, David Ignatius, while Pakistan has made certain moves to showcase its commitment to root out militancy from its soil, Islamabad’s relationship with Washington can not turn out to be a truly strategic partnership until the Army takes decisive action against its key long-time ally in Afghanistan, the Haqqani network.
“This is the ‘trust but verify’ detail of the US-Pakistan rapprochement, reminiscent of the US-Soviet détente,” Ignatius said in his article.
“When there is a decisive move to cut them (the Haqqani network) off, the US will see and verify it. At that point, in the minds of the US intelligence chiefs, the strategic shift will truly have taken place and the real celebration can begin,” he said.
Ignatius said he believes that Pakistan is well aware of the fact that any peace talks in Afghanistan would fail unless they include all parties to the conflict, including elements of the fearsome Haqqani group.
However, Pakistan, is also eager to hop on to the ‘US-powered peace train’ for Kabul before it gets too late in order to safeguard its cause in the region, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know