Using terror groups to fight India a bad idea: EU to Pak
London: Describing Pakistan-based LeT as a
"dangerous group" having a "global agenda", a top EU counter-
terrorism official has said it was a bad idea "to fight India
with proxy" using terrorist organisations.
"We see Lashkar-e-Taiba as a very dangerous organisation
with a global agenda and not a local agenda," the European
Union`s counter-terrorism coordinator, Gilles de Kerchove,
Besides, "it is all but a good idea to fight India with
proxy through terrorist organisations," he told a seminar on
Yemen organised by Carnegie in Brussels yesterday, apparently
referring to Pakistan.
The top EU official also noted that many people from
Europe are being lured by terrorist training camps.
"We have several hundred people leaving Europe for
training camps," EUAsiaNews quoted de Kerchove as saying.
Referring to Afghanistan, de Kerchove said all the
neighbours, including Iran, have an important role to play to
restore peace and stability in the war-torn nation.
Meanwhile, NATO`s Senior Civilian Representative in
Afghanistan, Ambassador Mark Sedwill, reacted cautiously
during a press conference yesterday about a Pakistani army
suggestion to train the Afghan army.
He said any offer of support from Afghanistan`s regional
partners whether to the army, police or civil society to
improve their capabilities is welcome.
"But it needs to be handled with great delicacy if its
is relating to security forces because of regional tensions
and rivalry," he noted.
Sedwill, a former British ambassador to Afghanistan and
Deputy High commissioner to Pakistan, praised the role of
India in the war-torn country.
"If you look at the Indian role in Afghanistan they are
not involved at all with the security force but there is a
very substantial civil aid programme from India to Afghanistan
including some major infrastructure projects and indeed they
have a mechanism for training lot of civilians within India,"
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India