Vietnam supports India`s South China Sea stand, UNSC bid
Hanoi: Vietnam Tuesday backed India`s stand that there should be freedom of navigation in the South China Sea, an area China wants New Delhi to keep away from, and also extended support to the country`s bid to become a permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Sanjay Singh, Secretary (East) in the Ministry of External Affairs, said Vietnam has stressed on greater cooperation between the two countries in strategic, economic and other matters, briefing reporters during Vice President Hamid Ansari`s four-day state visit here.
"Vietnam has expressed support on the freedom of navigation in South China Sea..... It also said it supports India`s bid for a Permanent membership of the UN Security Council," Singh said.
Asked for further details, he said though the main focus of Ansari`s meetings with Vietnam`s top leadership was bilateral, Hanoi has expressed the "need for peace and stability in the region, including the South China Sea".
Vietnam is of the view that any disputes in the region should be dealt with under the six-point formula of ASEAN and the 1982 UNCLOS Agreement.
India maintains that it is only engaged in oil exploration in the South China Sea while China sees India`s foray into the region as an attempt to increase its strategic presence.
Ansari pointed out that Indian companies in the field of oil and gas exploration are actively engaged in several projects in Vietnam.
"India is also prepared to continue extending lines of credit on concessional terms, especially for infrastructure development," he said at a programme here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why