Violence flares in Karachi, Quetta; 9 killed
Karachi: A fresh wave of violence and target killings hit Pakistan`s largest city, with nine people killed in incidents of firing today, even as Balochistan`s capital Quetta simmered with tensions.
In Karachi, police confirmed the death of at least nine people in different incidents of firing, and said they had also arrested a notorious target killer.
Meanwhile, in Quetta, at least nine people were injured when unknown gunmen opened fire on a rally taken out by the Awami National Party to protest the bomb attack at an ANP rally in the city yesterday.
For the last one month, dozens have been killed in target killing incidents in Karachi including activists of the Mutthaida Qaumi Movement, ANP, Pakistan Peoples Party and some religious outfits.
It has become a routine for police to find bodies of apparent torture victims in gunny bags from different localities in the city.
The worst hit areas have been in the old city and on the outskirts of Karachi.
Unknown assailants today killed one Jaman Shah and his wife after forcibly entering their house.
In another sensitive locality of Orangi Town, Syed Jamal Faisal, a Sindh High Court (SHC) employee, and Jamil Baloch of Baldia town were killed in separate incidents of firing.
Two bodies of torture victims were recovered from ditches in the Aaso Goth area of Malir and al Asif Square in Sohrab Goth. Police also recovered the body of a woman from the Sikandar Goth area of Sacchal.
In Quetta, police said at least nine persons were wounded when unknown gunmen opened fire on a rally passing through a double road.
Later, other ANP workers reached the hospital and chanted slogans against police and administration and also manhandled police and paramilitary personnel.
The ANP had announced a shutter down strike for today and three days mourning in Balochistan over the bomb explosion near the venue of a rally arranged by the ANP in Kuchlak Bazaar yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam