Violence grips Sindh after PPP leader`s remarks
Karachi: Pakistan`s southern province of
Sindh, including its capital Karachi, plunged into fresh
violence, leaving at least 15 people dead and 21 injured,
after senior minister Zulfikar Mirza of PPP made disparaging
remarks against the MQM and its leader Altaf Hussain.
The violent protests and disturbances started late
last night soon after television channels aired remarks by a
senior minister of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party, Zulfiqar
Police and rescue officials said that 15 people were
killed and 21 injured in incidents of firing in many parts of
the city. Protesters also set ablaze some 40 vehicles,
including 10 buses at one terminal in Sakhi Hasan.
At a gathering last night, Mirza targetted Hussain,
unleashing yet another rant against him - this time taking it
up a notch by referring to the leader of a breakaway
MQM-Haqiqi as "the true leader of muhajirs".
Mirza said: "This province was here for centuries
before you (Urdu-speaking migrants or muhajirs) came to this
city hungry and naked."
"If (MQM-Haqiqi leader) Afaq Ahmed is a criminal, then
(MQM leader) Altaf Hussain is 100-times a bigger criminal,"
He also described Altaf Hussain as a terrorist and
killer and appealed to the people to get rid of the
"Afaq is the second-biggest political prisoner in
Pakistan after President Asif Ali Zardari," he said.
He accused MQM of trying to divide Sindh.
"You will divide Sindh over my dead body," Mirza said
at a dinner hosted by Awami National Party (ANP) leader Shahi
Syed, a staunch rival of the MQM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security