War crimes trial: US special envoy to assist Bangladesh
Dhaka: US War Crimes Ambassador-at-large Stephen Rapp will be here next month to assist Bangladesh in the trial of Islamists accused of "war crimes" committed during the 1971 liberation movement.
Rapp will be here at the invitation of the Bangladesh government that is preparing to hold trial under its own laws.
The trial`s credibility has been questioned.
Human Rights Watch, the International Bar Association and most recently the International Centre for Transitional Justice have raised some questions about whether the process will be fair, the New Age newspaper said on Monday.
The US war crimes ambassador-at-large agreed to come to Bangladesh at a time when international lawyers outside the country have raised concerns about whether the tribunal would follow international standards under the current legal regime of the country.
Prior to being appointed US war crimes ambassador-at-large, Stephen Rapp was chief prosecutor at the UN-appointed International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda 2001-07, and then at the Special Court in Sierra Leone.
The Bangladesh government has set in motion the process to try the top brass of the country`s largest Islamist party, Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, and an unspecified number of people who, as young Islamist militants, are accused of targeting unarmed civilians in the run-up to the liberation movement.
Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes said that he invited Ambassador Rapp to ensure fullest credibility in the International Crimes Tribunal process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming