Way forward in Indo-Pak ties is to resume dialogue: Zardari
Islamabad: Emphasising on the need to resume stalled composite dialogue between Pakistan and India, President Asif Ali Zardari on Friday said, recent LoC incidents should not be allowed to derail the normalisation process between the two countries.
"We believe the way forward for the two countries is to resume the stalled composite dialogue process at the earliest," Zardari said.
He said that Pakistan wanted to transform bilateral relations with India into a friendly and cooperative partnership through resolving of outstanding disputes.
The Pakistani President, however, maintained that the two sides need to ensure that the fall out of the recent incidents along the Line of Control should not be allowed to derail the normalisation process.
"Our new democratic government has exercised restraint," Zardari said, adding that, "the Prime Minister is committed to peaceful relations with India and has stated that his government will continue to exercise restraint".
Zardari made the remarks while speaking at a dinner hosted in the honour of Islamabad-based diplomats here at the Presidency to thank them for their support and cooperation during the past five years.
Zardari will demit office on September 8.
He said that Pakistan sincerely desires to establish durable peace and stability in the neighbourhood.
"We need peace and stability to realise the vast potential of mutually beneficial cooperation in diverse fields," he said.
As Afghanistan`s closest neighbour, Pakistan has borne the brunt of the crisis in Afghanistan in the past over three decades, he said.
"The cost for Pakistan has been enormous. We have been hosting the largest number of refugees in the world over several decades. We have endured the inflow of drugs and weapons," he quoted.
The Pakistani President said the cost for Pakistan has been huge, in both blood and material losses.
"History has proved that the destinies of our two countries are inter-linked," he said.
"Our dreams of peace and prosperity cannot be realised as long as Afghanistan remains in turmoil. It is for these reasons that helping restore peace and stability in Afghanistan remained on top of our agenda during the past five years," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly