Well-known Shia lawyer shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: A well-known Shia lawyer was on Friday shot dead by unidentified gunmen in the latest in a string of sectarian attacks in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan today.
Malik Jarrar was driving his two children to school when two men riding a motorcycle fired at him at Gulbahar Road in Peshawar.
Jarrar was killed instantly while his children remained unhurt, police officials said.
The attackers fled after the shooting. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Police registered a case and launched a search for the killers.
Lawyers` organisations protested against the killing and decided to boycott work at all courts for two days.
Shia groups too condemned the incident and criticised the authorities for failing to provide adequate protection to the minority community.
Two doctors and a superintendent of police are among the Shias who were killed in recent sectarian attacks in Peshawar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump