We`re here to win, says new US commander in Afghanistan

Last Updated: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 16:21

Washington: General Joseph Dunford, who controls the international force in Afghanistan, has said that he expects Kabul`s insurgency to continue beyond the US withdrawal in 2014, but also feels hopeful about the direction of the country.

Dunford said that he very clear that his forces are `here to win,` and added that they have got a complete `security and political transition.`

The General admitted that attacks on the force by Afghan colleagues, like the stabbing of 26-year-old Sgt. Michael C. Cable by a 10-year-old Afghan boy with whom he was working earlier this week, have `absolutely` had an impact on the force.

Dunford called such `blue-on-green incidents` a significant threat, ABC News reports.

According to the report, like his predecessor, Gen. John Allen, Dunford expressed cautious optimism about the future of Afghanistan after the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops next year.

He said that the Afghan security forces have really taken the lead in protecting their country and are meeting all the benchmarks the Obama administration has set.

Dunford maintained the biggest requirement for the Afghans` success will be a commitment by the U.S. and the international community to continue to support the country and its security forces, the report added.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 16:20

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus