WFP temporarily halts relief distribution in NW Pak
Peshawar: The World Food Programme has
temporarily halted its relief operations in Pakistan`s restive
northwest region following an attack at its aid distribution
centre in Bajaur by a burqa-clad female suicide bomber in
which 46 people were killed.
The UN agency said none of its staffers were among the
The WFP temporarily halted its relief operations in
the region following the attack. Footage on television showed
that the powerful blast had blackened the walls of the aid
centre and blown out its windows.
WFP spokesman Amjad Jamal said the agency would resume
the distribution of aid once the situation returns to normal.
UN chief Ban-Ki-moon said he was appalled at the
killing of innocent people in the "abhorrent" terrorist attack
at in Pakistan. Reacting to the incident, the United Nations
Secretary General condemned the act and conveyed his
condolences to the families of victims.
Around 36,000 internally displaced persons are being
provided relief by the WFP operation in the regio
Pakistan`s first woman suicide bomber yesterday
targeted the UN aid distribution centre in the volatile tribal
belt, killing 46 people and injuring over 70 others.
The bomber, who was clad in a burqa, lobbed a grenade
and then detonated her explosives when she was stopped at a
checkpoint near a World Food Programme centre in Khar, the
headquarters of Bajaur tribal region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth