When a hungry Kayani had just biscuits to eat
Islamabad: A nearly 12-hour session of Parliament to discuss the killing of Osama bin Laden proved to be quite a challenge for army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani who had just biscuits to eat and ended up smoking cigarettes taken from security guards.
The in-camera session took place Friday to discuss the May 2 killing of the Al Qaeda leader May 2 in Abbottabad by US commandos.
Dawn reported that Gen Kayani had to satisfy his craving for cigarettes with an unfamiliar brand after he ran out of his stock, and his hunger pangs had to be satisfied with biscuits.
The Parliament`s staff said that Gen Kayani, Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Rao Qamar Suleyman, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Noman Bashir and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Khalid Shamim Wynne were present.
The marathon joint sitting of the two houses proved to be a challenge for not only the legislators but also the military top brass who faced questions about Osama`s presence deep inside Pakistan.
"Nobody knew that the session that started at 3 p.m. will stretch for almost 12 hours till 2.30 a.m. and so no arrangements were made to cater to the culinary needs of the assembly," Mehboob Gurmani, a senior official, was quoted as saying.
The media report said a limited quantity of food was there in the cafeteria and the entire stock was finished within an hour or so. That left most of the parliamentarians hungry.
When house was opened for speeches, Gen Kayani asked an official, Anjum Mughal, for some food. But the official sheepishly said the food had already been eaten up.
"The official arranged some biscuits from the office of the speaker`s secretary and served it to Gen Kayani and his colleagues."
Sources said that the general smokes a lot and he frequently went to the corridors of the parliament house to smoke. He then ran out of his stock.
"(Then) Capstan cigarettes were taken from the security guards standing on the gates and served to Gen Kayani which he smoked after having some biscuits," a source was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview