When a hungry Kayani had just biscuits to eat
Islamabad: A nearly 12-hour session of Parliament to discuss the killing of Osama bin Laden proved to be quite a challenge for army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani who had just biscuits to eat and ended up smoking cigarettes taken from security guards.
The in-camera session took place Friday to discuss the May 2 killing of the Al Qaeda leader May 2 in Abbottabad by US commandos.
Dawn reported that Gen Kayani had to satisfy his craving for cigarettes with an unfamiliar brand after he ran out of his stock, and his hunger pangs had to be satisfied with biscuits.
The Parliament`s staff said that Gen Kayani, Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Rao Qamar Suleyman, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Noman Bashir and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Khalid Shamim Wynne were present.
The marathon joint sitting of the two houses proved to be a challenge for not only the legislators but also the military top brass who faced questions about Osama`s presence deep inside Pakistan.
"Nobody knew that the session that started at 3 p.m. will stretch for almost 12 hours till 2.30 a.m. and so no arrangements were made to cater to the culinary needs of the assembly," Mehboob Gurmani, a senior official, was quoted as saying.
The media report said a limited quantity of food was there in the cafeteria and the entire stock was finished within an hour or so. That left most of the parliamentarians hungry.
When house was opened for speeches, Gen Kayani asked an official, Anjum Mughal, for some food. But the official sheepishly said the food had already been eaten up.
"The official arranged some biscuits from the office of the speaker`s secretary and served it to Gen Kayani and his colleagues."
Sources said that the general smokes a lot and he frequently went to the corridors of the parliament house to smoke. He then ran out of his stock.
"(Then) Capstan cigarettes were taken from the security guards standing on the gates and served to Gen Kayani which he smoked after having some biscuits," a source was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'