When China’s minister snubbed Zardari
Islamabad: Visiting Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi refused to go to Karachi to meet Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, a report said on Wednesday.
Pakistan`s Online News Network cited well-placed sources as saying that Jiechi and Zardari were initially scheduled to meet in Islamabad. However, Zardari later sought a meeting with the Chinese delegation in Karachi `due to his demanding engagements in the provincial as well as financial capital of the country`.
"However, the delegation expressed its inability to travel to Karachi to meet the President and insisted on the venue and time earlier finalised,” the sources added.
The Pakistan President was then forced to rush back to Islamabad “for the convenience of the high-value guests and expressing level of commitment Pakistan attaches to the neighbouring friendly country”, the Online news reported.
When the agency sought a clarification on the issue from Zardari’s spokesman, it got a SMS reply: "The meeting was scheduled in Islamabad."
On Wednesday, Jiechi called upon the international community to acknowledge the sacrifices made by Pakistan in the war on terror and the role it played against terrorists, and for peace in the region.
Jiechi arrived in Islamabad on a two-day visit to hold talks with Pakistani civil and military leaderships on regional peace, security and bilateral ties,
The Chinese minister also met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family