White House cautions Afghan neighbours on their -ve influence
Washington: The White House, apparently
referring to Iran, has cautioned neighbouring countries of Afghanistan, where US is engaged in a war against terror, to refrain from having any negative influence on the current
Hamid Karzai regime.
The subtle warning to Afghan neighbours comes after
reports from Kabul said that Iran is giving "bags full of
money" to the Karzai Administration and is believed to be
training Taliban force.
"We closely monitor what happens in Afghanistan. Those
efforts at moderating include making sure that its neighbours
do not provide an unnecessary or negative -- don`t exert
negative or unnecessary influence on that country," White
House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily
"I would remind all the countries in that region that
they have a responsibility to play a constructive role in the
future of Afghanistan," Gibbs said in response to a question
about news reports of the recent developments in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, State Department spokesman P J Crowley said
that US has an effective relationship with Karzai.
"Our strategy is in support of his government and working
with his government to help the people of Afghanistan. We have
an effective relationship with President Karzai," he said.
"The Secretary of State (Hillary Clinton) talks to
President Karzai on a regular basis. As we indicated, she was
in contact with him on Saturday as part of one of her
regularly scheduled calls with him. He is a partner.
"We are working closely with his government to improve
the security of the country," Crowley said.
"General (David) Petraeus and Ambassador(Karl) Eikenberry
meet with him on a regular basis. So I would describe our
relationship as very solid and working to fulfil our mutual
interests," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister