White House cautions Afghan neighbours on their -ve influence
Washington: The White House, apparently
referring to Iran, has cautioned neighbouring countries of Afghanistan, where US is engaged in a war against terror, to refrain from having any negative influence on the current
Hamid Karzai regime.
The subtle warning to Afghan neighbours comes after
reports from Kabul said that Iran is giving "bags full of
money" to the Karzai Administration and is believed to be
training Taliban force.
"We closely monitor what happens in Afghanistan. Those
efforts at moderating include making sure that its neighbours
do not provide an unnecessary or negative -- don`t exert
negative or unnecessary influence on that country," White
House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily
"I would remind all the countries in that region that
they have a responsibility to play a constructive role in the
future of Afghanistan," Gibbs said in response to a question
about news reports of the recent developments in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, State Department spokesman P J Crowley said
that US has an effective relationship with Karzai.
"Our strategy is in support of his government and working
with his government to help the people of Afghanistan. We have
an effective relationship with President Karzai," he said.
"The Secretary of State (Hillary Clinton) talks to
President Karzai on a regular basis. As we indicated, she was
in contact with him on Saturday as part of one of her
regularly scheduled calls with him. He is a partner.
"We are working closely with his government to improve
the security of the country," Crowley said.
"General (David) Petraeus and Ambassador(Karl) Eikenberry
meet with him on a regular basis. So I would describe our
relationship as very solid and working to fulfil our mutual
interests," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!