White House cautions Afghan neighbours on their -ve influence
Washington: The White House, apparently
referring to Iran, has cautioned neighbouring countries of Afghanistan, where US is engaged in a war against terror, to refrain from having any negative influence on the current
Hamid Karzai regime.
The subtle warning to Afghan neighbours comes after
reports from Kabul said that Iran is giving "bags full of
money" to the Karzai Administration and is believed to be
training Taliban force.
"We closely monitor what happens in Afghanistan. Those
efforts at moderating include making sure that its neighbours
do not provide an unnecessary or negative -- don`t exert
negative or unnecessary influence on that country," White
House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily
"I would remind all the countries in that region that
they have a responsibility to play a constructive role in the
future of Afghanistan," Gibbs said in response to a question
about news reports of the recent developments in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, State Department spokesman P J Crowley said
that US has an effective relationship with Karzai.
"Our strategy is in support of his government and working
with his government to help the people of Afghanistan. We have
an effective relationship with President Karzai," he said.
"The Secretary of State (Hillary Clinton) talks to
President Karzai on a regular basis. As we indicated, she was
in contact with him on Saturday as part of one of her
regularly scheduled calls with him. He is a partner.
"We are working closely with his government to improve
the security of the country," Crowley said.
"General (David) Petraeus and Ambassador(Karl) Eikenberry
meet with him on a regular basis. So I would describe our
relationship as very solid and working to fulfil our mutual
interests," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered