White House mum on delivering ‘bags of cash’ to Hamid Karzai
Washington: White House press secretary Jay Carney has declined to comment on a report that the CIA has regularly delivered bags of cash for more than a decade to Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s office in an attempt to buy influence.
Carney said that he has no information on the report by the New York Times asking to refer to CIA on the issue.
According to Politico, the Times reported that the cash, sometimes in stuffed suitcases, backpacks or even plastic shopping bags, may have fueled corruption instead of buying influence.
Carney also declined to comment on that or whether President Barack Obama knew about the payments.
He said that he did not have any specific comments on the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan