White House mum on delivering ‘bags of cash’ to Hamid Karzai
Washington: White House press secretary Jay Carney has declined to comment on a report that the CIA has regularly delivered bags of cash for more than a decade to Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s office in an attempt to buy influence.
Carney said that he has no information on the report by the New York Times asking to refer to CIA on the issue.
According to Politico, the Times reported that the cash, sometimes in stuffed suitcases, backpacks or even plastic shopping bags, may have fueled corruption instead of buying influence.
Carney also declined to comment on that or whether President Barack Obama knew about the payments.
He said that he did not have any specific comments on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report