White House mum on delivering ‘bags of cash’ to Hamid Karzai
Washington: White House press secretary Jay Carney has declined to comment on a report that the CIA has regularly delivered bags of cash for more than a decade to Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s office in an attempt to buy influence.
Carney said that he has no information on the report by the New York Times asking to refer to CIA on the issue.
According to Politico, the Times reported that the cash, sometimes in stuffed suitcases, backpacks or even plastic shopping bags, may have fueled corruption instead of buying influence.
Carney also declined to comment on that or whether President Barack Obama knew about the payments.
He said that he did not have any specific comments on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey