White House targets mobile users in Afghanistan, Pakistan
Washington: The White House has said that it dubbed video clips of US President Barack Obama`s speech this week on Afghanistan into Arabic, Dari, Pashtu and Urdu for distribution on mobile devices.
The White House, in a blog post, said Internet penetration in Afghanistan and Pakistan is relatively low, just two percent and 11 percent respectively.
But it said the number of people in those countries with mobile devices is much higher - 52 percent of the 177 million people in Pakistan and 30 percent of the 28.4 million in Afghanistan.
"Given this trend, we produced short video clips of the President`s segment to Afghans and had it dubbed in Arabic, Dari, Pashtu, and Urdu in order for them to be distributed locally on mobile devices," the White House said.
"We`re hopeful that leveraging technology this way will help us achieve the President`s goal of increasing America`s security and undercutting the appeal of al Qaeda and other extremists through global engagement," it said.
Earlier this year, the White House posted a video on its website featuring a simultaneous translation into Farsi of comments Obama made on Iran and a Farsi transcript of the remarks.
Obama directed some of Tuesday`s speech to the Afghan people saying "America seeks an end to this era of war and suffering" and has "no interest in occupying your country”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr