Will hold polls by May 15: Pakistan government
Islamabad: Amidst protests by cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri for the dissolution of Parliament, the Pakistan government on Wednesday said it is determined to complete its five-year term and to hold the polls by May 15.
"There are few days left for the completion of the term (of the government). All the parties and real stakeholders have agreed that (the national and provincial) assemblies will complete their term on March 16," Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said.
"On that day, the assemblies will be dissolved automatically. We have given in writing in the Supreme Court yesterday that, according to the Constitution, the election will be held in time (within two months)," he told a news conference outside the Parliament.
Kaira, who was flanked by National Assembly Deputy Speaker Faisal Kundi and Senate Chairman Nayyar Bukhari, said the next general election is expected to be held between May 5 and 15.
The Information Minister dismissed Tahir-ul-Qadri`s call for the government to quit and to dissolve the national and provincial assemblies, saying the cleric was not in a position to make such demands as he could not even contest polls himself due to his Canadian citizenship.
"He (Qadri) is exposing himself when he speaks. The people should expose him. The people will not stand by him. These few people who are there, they will go back," Kaira said.
He said the government would act according to the law and Constitution in dealing with Qadri`s protest near parliament.
"It is the right of anyone to protest but he cannot disrupt the life of the people of Pakistan," he said.
Referring to Qadri`s call for a greater role for the army and judiciary, Kaira said: "What does he want to do with the institutions he keeps referring to? Every step that weakens democracy and goes against the Constitution will be resisted by political parties and civil society".
Kaira made several digs at Qadri`s claims and demands.
"You want to dissolve the government, Parliament and Election Commisison, but you refuse to tell us how. The man making these demands cannot himself contest polls under the Constitution," Kaira said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!