Will not attend Bonn Conference: Pak tells Germany
Islamabad: Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has conveyed to her German counterpart Guido Westerwelle Pakistan`s decision not to participate in the Bonn Conference on Afghanistan to protest against a cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
Khar informed Westerwelle of the Pakistan government`s decision during a phone conversation last night.
She told him the decision had been endorsed by the Parliamentary Committee on National Security Committee in its meeting yesterday.
She conveyed her appreciation for Germany`s commitment to peace and stability in Afghanistan, which was demonstrated in its efforts to host the Bonn Conference.
Westerwelle thanked Khar for informing him of the Pakistan government`s decision and said he looked forward to receiving her in Berlin soon.
Khar also received a phone call yesterday from her British counterpart William Hague.
She apprised Hague of Pakistan`s concerns about "NATO/ISAF attacks in Pakistani territory" and the decision not to participate in the Bonn Conference.
Hague expressed Britain`s "understanding of Pakistan`s position", said a statement from the Foreign Office.
Pakistan responded angrily to the NATO air strike on two of its military border posts a week ago by closing all NATO supply routes and asking the US to vacate Shamsi airbase, reportedly used by CIA-operated drones to carry out attacks in
the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan.
Khar said today that the government decided to boycott the Bonn Conference for the sake of the country`s sovereignty.
The sovereignty and integrity of Pakistan cannot be compromised at any cost, she told the media.
Pakistan cannot play an effective role in an environment in which there is no guarantee of its security and sovereignty from its partners, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know