Advertisement

Will probe ISI`s role in 26/11 attacks if back to power: Nawaz Sharif

He stressed on the importance of resolving the Kashmir issue peacefully and suggested that back channel negotiations should be reactivated besides making the 1999 Kargil operations an "open secret".

Islamabad: Emphasising on the need to begin from "where we left in 1999", ex-Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif on Monday promised never to allow the country`s soil for anti-India activities and said he will expedite the 26/11 trial here and probe ISI`s role in the Mumbai terror attacks if he returns to power.
He stressed on the importance of resolving the Kashmir issue peacefully and suggested that back channel negotiations should be reactivated besides making the 1999 Kargil operations an "open secret". "We have to start from where we were interrupted in 1999. Vajpayee saab came across, we signed that historic Lahore accord. He had said very good things about Pakistan which are still fresh in my memory. I also reciprocated. I think those times must come back again," Sharif said in an interview to a news channel. He added that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had told him, `Nawaz saab why can`t we declare 1999 as the year of resolution of all problems between India and Pakistan`. "He has said very good thing. If we get a chance to rule this country, this will be our main priorities", Sharif said. On cross-border terrorism, the PML-N chief, who is widely expected to form the next government here, said, "We don`t want our territory to be used for terrorist activities. These elements are deliberately spoiling the relationship". Asked about Mumbai attack mastermind and JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, he said, "Many of these organisations have already been banned. If I become prime minister I will make sure that Pakistani soil is never used for any such design against India. We must not allow such speeches to be made against India by anybody including Hafeez Saab". Replying to a query on terror convict David Headley`s statement implicating ISI in the Mumbai attacks, he said, "If he has given such a statement that needs to be verified first...But how far these statements are true, we have to see. I think such issues to be investigated carefully including what happened in Kargil". Sharif said that the the entire Army of Pakistan was kept in dark about the Kargil operation. "No corps commander had any knowledge that this Kargil operation is going on. Even the Chiefs of the Armed forces complained about why they were not informed. I think the commission will have to bring out the full truth. This will be an open secret". On Kashmir issue, he said it needs to be resolved peacefully to the satisfaction of not only both the countries but also to the satisfaction of the people of Kashmir. On "separate Kashmir", Sharif said, "We have our stated positions since last 60-65 years. India says Kashmir is our `Atoot ang`. In 1999 the Lahore declaration was a different atmosphere. It said both the countries agree to solve the Kashmir issue by sitting across the table, peacefully. We need to begin from where we had left in 1999". Asked what was message to India Sharif said, "I want to say to the people of India that we could be very good friends. My birthplace is in India, I`ve twice been there. A lot of emotional involvement. Once we hold our hands and throw out all enmity and hatred from our hearts and be determined to solve all our problems peacefully, this will change the fate of this sub-continent". On reciprocating same relationship with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as he used to have with Vajpayee, Sharif said "Certainly it will be pleasure and personal privilege to visit India. It would certainly be a privilege to see Manmohan Singh visiting Pakistan. Pakistan is the place was he was born. So therefore we will be very happy to exchange these feelings". PTI