Will work to augment Pak-US ties: Sherry Rehman
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Ambassador-designate to
the US Sherry Rehman on Thursday said she would earnestly work to
augment bilateral relations and endeavour to defend
Islamabad`s interests at all international forums, especially
Rehman made the remarks on working on the frayed Pak-US
relations during a meeting with President Asif Ali Zardari a
day after her appointment.
She was named to the post after the former envoy, Husain
Haqqani, was forced out over the "memogate" controversy.
Zardari asked Rehman to concentrate on enhancing relations
with the US, with the focus on strengthening democracy and
He congratulated Rehman on her new assignment.
Rehman also met Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and
discussed bilateral relations with the US.
Khar "underscored the importance Pakistan attached to its
relations with the United States", said a statement issued by
the Foreign Office.
Rehman`s new assignment will see her playing a crucial
role in guiding Pakistan-US relations, which plunged to a new
low this year due to several crises.
The trouble began when CIA contractor Raymond Davis was
arrested in Lahore in January for killing two armed men
believed to be linked to ISI.
The crisis further intensified after the unilateral US
raid that Killed al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad
on May 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened