Woman injured in celebratory firing by PML-N activists
Karachi: A Pakistani woman was killed and another seriously injured on Thursday during alleged firing by Pakistan Muslim League (N) activists who were celebrating the swearing-in ceremony of their chief Nawaz Sharif as Prime Minister.
The incident occurred in the remote town of Thul in the interior Sindh province which remained shut down in most parts on the call of the Mutthaida-e-Qaumi Movement (MQM).
Police said the woman died after she was hit in the head by a stray bullet fired by around 100 activists of the Pakistan Muslim League (N) to celebrate the appointment of Sharif as Prime Minister.
"Musammat Bibi, 45, died on the spot while her 19-year old niece Jamila Bibi also sustained gunshot wounds and is in critical condition," one official said.
MQM today observed a day of mourning over the killing and disappearance of its workers and sympathisers.
The MQM, which is the single largest party in Pakistan`s biggest city Karachi, had called for the peaceful strike after three of its workers were executed yesterday.
Karachi and some other parts of the province wore a deserted look as markets, business, petrol pumps and schools remained closed while public transport was also scare on the roads.
Public transport was off the roads in all major cities of Sindh, while petrol pumps and CNG stations were shut down.
The MQM central coordination committee while thanking the people for supporting the strike also called on the Chief Justice and government to take notice of the killings and disappearance of its workers and supporters.
"What is unfortunate is that the Sindh government is taking notice of our pleas," senior leader, Khalid Maqbool said.
He made it clear that if the government didn`t act, the people would be forced to take the security into their own hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!