Woman paraded naked in Pakistan
Islamabad: A middle aged woman was
allegedly paraded naked in northwest Pakistan on the
instigation of a jirga or tribal council that found her son
guilty of rape.
The woman was allegedly disrobed by four armed men and
paraded in the streets of Neelor Bala village near Haripur in
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province earlier this month.
Police confirmed the report and arrested three members
of the jirga, The Express Tribune newspaper reported today.
The incident occurred in the wake of a woman in Neelor
Bala becoming pregnant while her husband was away in Lahore.
She accused two local men of having raped her.
The woman`s husband took the matter to the village
jirga headed by Basheer Abbasi and Raqeeb on June 8.
The jirga decided that the woman should immediately
divorce her husband and the two men accused of rape should be
punished. The man forced his wife to file for divorce.
After returning home, the husband of the woman and his
three brothers reached the house of one of the men accused of
rape and dragged his mother on to the streets.
They beat the mother with rifle butts and allegedly
paraded her naked.
Police said the matter was brought to their notice by
some rights activists and they registered a case against jirga
Civil society organisations condemned the incident and
offered the victims legal and moral support.
In January, another woman of Basti Wah Deen village in
Vehari was gang-raped and stripped naked by landlords for
refusing a marriage proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader