Woman polio worker killed in northwest Pakistan
Peshawar: Unknown gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on a woman polio worker in Pakistan`s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa`s province on Monday, killing her on the spot.
Official sources said the woman was leaving her home to start her duties with the anti-polio team when she was shot dead in Sukari area of Bannu district in the province.
The attackers fled away from the scene after the incident, they said.
A case was registered at the Cantt Police Station.
Meanwhile, nearly 4,190 teams vaccinated a total of 649, 887 children against nine diseases, including polio in the ninth phase of the `Sehat-ka-Insaf` immunization campaign in Peshawar district.
Recently-appointed Minister for Health Shahram Khan Tarakai inaugurated the campaign yesterday and pledged to make all efforts possible to eradicate polio virus from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
"The Sehat ka Insaf campaign in Peshawar will continue every week until the 12th phase, while from April 6, it will be extended to four other districts," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan