Woman polio worker killed in northwest Pakistan
Peshawar: Unknown gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on a woman polio worker in Pakistan`s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa`s province on Monday, killing her on the spot.
Official sources said the woman was leaving her home to start her duties with the anti-polio team when she was shot dead in Sukari area of Bannu district in the province.
The attackers fled away from the scene after the incident, they said.
A case was registered at the Cantt Police Station.
Meanwhile, nearly 4,190 teams vaccinated a total of 649, 887 children against nine diseases, including polio in the ninth phase of the `Sehat-ka-Insaf` immunization campaign in Peshawar district.
Recently-appointed Minister for Health Shahram Khan Tarakai inaugurated the campaign yesterday and pledged to make all efforts possible to eradicate polio virus from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
"The Sehat ka Insaf campaign in Peshawar will continue every week until the 12th phase, while from April 6, it will be extended to four other districts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!