Woman polio worker killed in northwest Pakistan
Peshawar: Unknown gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on a woman polio worker in Pakistan`s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa`s province on Monday, killing her on the spot.
Official sources said the woman was leaving her home to start her duties with the anti-polio team when she was shot dead in Sukari area of Bannu district in the province.
The attackers fled away from the scene after the incident, they said.
A case was registered at the Cantt Police Station.
Meanwhile, nearly 4,190 teams vaccinated a total of 649, 887 children against nine diseases, including polio in the ninth phase of the `Sehat-ka-Insaf` immunization campaign in Peshawar district.
Recently-appointed Minister for Health Shahram Khan Tarakai inaugurated the campaign yesterday and pledged to make all efforts possible to eradicate polio virus from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
"The Sehat ka Insaf campaign in Peshawar will continue every week until the 12th phase, while from April 6, it will be extended to four other districts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state