Woman steals over $1m from Afghan bank: Officials
Kabul: Officials say a young woman managed to steal USD 1.1 million from a major Afghan bank by transferring the money to relatives` accounts. She then vanished, setting off an international hunt.
The alleged theft by the Azizi Bank employee highlights the deep corruption in Afghanistan`s banking sector, which already saw one leading institution unravel after revelations of massive fraud.
Investigators say at least 10 people aided the young woman, whom they identified only as Shogoofeh, in defrauding the bank.
Inayatullah Fazli, Azizi`s chief executive, says the money was stolen two months ago.
Shogoofeh is alleged to have then used fake documents under the name Samira to reach India; her current whereabouts are unknown.
Senior police official Gen. Aminullah Amarkhail says two suspects in the case have been detained in Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon