Woman steals over $1m from Afghan bank: Officials
Kabul: Officials say a young woman managed to steal USD 1.1 million from a major Afghan bank by transferring the money to relatives` accounts. She then vanished, setting off an international hunt.
The alleged theft by the Azizi Bank employee highlights the deep corruption in Afghanistan`s banking sector, which already saw one leading institution unravel after revelations of massive fraud.
Investigators say at least 10 people aided the young woman, whom they identified only as Shogoofeh, in defrauding the bank.
Inayatullah Fazli, Azizi`s chief executive, says the money was stolen two months ago.
Shogoofeh is alleged to have then used fake documents under the name Samira to reach India; her current whereabouts are unknown.
Senior police official Gen. Aminullah Amarkhail says two suspects in the case have been detained in Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore