Woman steals over $1m from Afghan bank: Officials
Kabul: Officials say a young woman managed to steal USD 1.1 million from a major Afghan bank by transferring the money to relatives` accounts. She then vanished, setting off an international hunt.
The alleged theft by the Azizi Bank employee highlights the deep corruption in Afghanistan`s banking sector, which already saw one leading institution unravel after revelations of massive fraud.
Investigators say at least 10 people aided the young woman, whom they identified only as Shogoofeh, in defrauding the bank.
Inayatullah Fazli, Azizi`s chief executive, says the money was stolen two months ago.
Shogoofeh is alleged to have then used fake documents under the name Samira to reach India; her current whereabouts are unknown.
Senior police official Gen. Aminullah Amarkhail says two suspects in the case have been detained in Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to get cheaper; circle rates might be slashed
- Shame! This man approached UP Police to register complaint, was forced to polish cops' shoes instead – Watch
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?