Woman steals over $1m from Afghan bank: Officials
Kabul: Officials say a young woman managed to steal USD 1.1 million from a major Afghan bank by transferring the money to relatives` accounts. She then vanished, setting off an international hunt.
The alleged theft by the Azizi Bank employee highlights the deep corruption in Afghanistan`s banking sector, which already saw one leading institution unravel after revelations of massive fraud.
Investigators say at least 10 people aided the young woman, whom they identified only as Shogoofeh, in defrauding the bank.
Inayatullah Fazli, Azizi`s chief executive, says the money was stolen two months ago.
Shogoofeh is alleged to have then used fake documents under the name Samira to reach India; her current whereabouts are unknown.
Senior police official Gen. Aminullah Amarkhail says two suspects in the case have been detained in Dubai.
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires