Women activists demand justice for victims of violence
Kathmandu: More than hundred Nepalese women activists on Saturday staged sit-in protest outside Prime Minister`s residence at Baluwatar in Kathmandu, demanding stern action against those involved in violence against women.
The women activists started the sit-in on Friday seeking justice for a woman who was allegedly robbed and then raped by security officials at Tribhuvan International Airport upon her arrival from Saudi Arabia.
They were also demanding justice for Saraswoti Subedi (31), who was found dead on December 15 in a suspicious condition at the residence of her employer Krishna Prasai, the relative of a senior police officer, eye-witnesses said.
23-year-old Sita Rai (not real name), a native of Bhojpur in eastern Nepal, had lodged a complaint last week at the Home Ministry against government official Somnath Khanal and constable Parshuram Basnet, accusing them of robbing her of Rs 218,000 at the airport on November 21 and then raping her.
Subedi was found dead two weeks ago at the house where she used to work.
The police have claimed that she had hanged herself but her family members said that she was murdered before being hanged.
CNN Hero 2012 Pushpa Basnet along with senior journalists and actors have also joined the protest expressing solidarity to the campaign.
Meanwhile, a signature campaign also started today, demanding justice for the victims of violence.
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai has expressed sadness over the incidents and assured to provide justice to the victims.
The cabinet meeting on Friday also decided to provide Rs 150,000 as compensation to the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145