Women activists demand justice for victims of violence
Kathmandu: More than hundred Nepalese women activists on Saturday staged sit-in protest outside Prime Minister`s residence at Baluwatar in Kathmandu, demanding stern action against those involved in violence against women.
The women activists started the sit-in on Friday seeking justice for a woman who was allegedly robbed and then raped by security officials at Tribhuvan International Airport upon her arrival from Saudi Arabia.
They were also demanding justice for Saraswoti Subedi (31), who was found dead on December 15 in a suspicious condition at the residence of her employer Krishna Prasai, the relative of a senior police officer, eye-witnesses said.
23-year-old Sita Rai (not real name), a native of Bhojpur in eastern Nepal, had lodged a complaint last week at the Home Ministry against government official Somnath Khanal and constable Parshuram Basnet, accusing them of robbing her of Rs 218,000 at the airport on November 21 and then raping her.
Subedi was found dead two weeks ago at the house where she used to work.
The police have claimed that she had hanged herself but her family members said that she was murdered before being hanged.
CNN Hero 2012 Pushpa Basnet along with senior journalists and actors have also joined the protest expressing solidarity to the campaign.
Meanwhile, a signature campaign also started today, demanding justice for the victims of violence.
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai has expressed sadness over the incidents and assured to provide justice to the victims.
The cabinet meeting on Friday also decided to provide Rs 150,000 as compensation to the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price