Women activists demand justice for victims of violence
Kathmandu: More than hundred Nepalese women activists on Saturday staged sit-in protest outside Prime Minister`s residence at Baluwatar in Kathmandu, demanding stern action against those involved in violence against women.
The women activists started the sit-in on Friday seeking justice for a woman who was allegedly robbed and then raped by security officials at Tribhuvan International Airport upon her arrival from Saudi Arabia.
They were also demanding justice for Saraswoti Subedi (31), who was found dead on December 15 in a suspicious condition at the residence of her employer Krishna Prasai, the relative of a senior police officer, eye-witnesses said.
23-year-old Sita Rai (not real name), a native of Bhojpur in eastern Nepal, had lodged a complaint last week at the Home Ministry against government official Somnath Khanal and constable Parshuram Basnet, accusing them of robbing her of Rs 218,000 at the airport on November 21 and then raping her.
Subedi was found dead two weeks ago at the house where she used to work.
The police have claimed that she had hanged herself but her family members said that she was murdered before being hanged.
CNN Hero 2012 Pushpa Basnet along with senior journalists and actors have also joined the protest expressing solidarity to the campaign.
Meanwhile, a signature campaign also started today, demanding justice for the victims of violence.
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai has expressed sadness over the incidents and assured to provide justice to the victims.
The cabinet meeting on Friday also decided to provide Rs 150,000 as compensation to the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg