Won’t let Afghanistan soil be used by terrorists: Karzai
Washington: Visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Thursday assured the US that with a strong security force, Afghanistan would not be threatened by terrorists from across its borders post-2014 when the America-led international force withdraws from the war-torn country.
On a three-day official visit to the country, Karzai, ahead of his talks with US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, hoped that the two countries would be able to work on the modalities of the bilateral security agreement (BSA), which is currently being negotiated between the two countries.
"I can assure you, Mr Secretary (Panetta)...With the help that you`ll provide....Afghanistan will be able to provide security to its people and to protect its borders so Afghanistan will not ever again be threatened by terrorists from across our borders," Karzai told the Defence Secretary in his opening remarks ahead of the meeting between the two leaders.
"I`m sure during this trip, Afghanistan and the US will work out the modality for bilateral security limit that will ensure the interests of the state of Afghanistan and also the interests of the United States," Karzai said.
The BSA would determine the troop structure and nature of US presence in Afghanistan post-2014 after the withdrawal of the US-led international forces from the country.
Karzai said the final tranche of security transition would be announced mid-2013.
Afghanistan will be taking over responsibility for its own security, he said.
Welcoming Karzai to the Pentagon, Panetta said that next year in Afghanistan will be a very important one as they continue to transition security responsibility to the Afghan forces, and this coming year they will complete that transition with tranche five.
"I want to commend you on the bravery and the skill of your forces. They are demonstrating, alongside the US and coalition forces, every day the bravery, the courage and the capability to provide the security you need in order to ensure a safe future for your nation," Panetta said.
"After a long and difficult path, we finally are, I believe, at the last chapter of establishing in Afghanistan a sovereign Afghanistan that can govern and secure itself for the future," Panetta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi