World Bank halts USD 1.2 billion Bangladesh loan
Dhaka: The World Bank said on Monday that it had
put on hold a USD 1.2 billion loan for a huge bridge in
Bangladesh amid allegations of corruption in the bidding
The development lender committed the loan -- its biggest
one-off credit line to any country -- in February to build the
bridge over the Padma River, the local name for the Ganges.
The 6.15-kilometre (3.8-mile) bridge, designed to carry a
highway and rail line, is expected to transform the country`s
The bank said it had suspended the loan following
allegations of graft over the project, which is set to cost
USD 2.9 billion in total.
"We will not proceed until we are fully satisfied on the
fraud and corruption front," World Bank Bangladesh country
director chief Ellen Goldstein said via email.
Bangladesh Finance Minister AMA Muhith said the
government had ordered investigation in the graft charges.
He said the bank had "temporarily halted" funding after
making "allegations that there could be corruption in the
The bridge, scheduled to go into service in 2014, would
be the longest in the country. It was a key election promise
of the Awami League government, led by Prime Minister Sheikh
A study has found that the bridge could cut poverty
significantly and boost GDP growth in the country`s poor
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez