World Bank halts USD 1.2 billion Bangladesh loan
Dhaka: The World Bank said on Monday that it had
put on hold a USD 1.2 billion loan for a huge bridge in
Bangladesh amid allegations of corruption in the bidding
The development lender committed the loan -- its biggest
one-off credit line to any country -- in February to build the
bridge over the Padma River, the local name for the Ganges.
The 6.15-kilometre (3.8-mile) bridge, designed to carry a
highway and rail line, is expected to transform the country`s
The bank said it had suspended the loan following
allegations of graft over the project, which is set to cost
USD 2.9 billion in total.
"We will not proceed until we are fully satisfied on the
fraud and corruption front," World Bank Bangladesh country
director chief Ellen Goldstein said via email.
Bangladesh Finance Minister AMA Muhith said the
government had ordered investigation in the graft charges.
He said the bank had "temporarily halted" funding after
making "allegations that there could be corruption in the
The bridge, scheduled to go into service in 2014, would
be the longest in the country. It was a key election promise
of the Awami League government, led by Prime Minister Sheikh
A study has found that the bridge could cut poverty
significantly and boost GDP growth in the country`s poor
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video