World leaders pledge $140 mn for Afghan reconciliation
London: World powers on Thursday pledged USD 140 million for the first year of an Afghan government plan to woo moderate Taliban fighters, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said.
"Today alone there have been over USD 140 million worth of commitments for the first year of the national reintegration programme and we are committed to seeing that through," Miliband said at the end of an international conference on Afghanistan in London.
Meanwhile, Afghan Finance Minister Omar Zakhilwal said that his country might need up to USD 1 billion to help reintegrate Taliban fighters into society.
Afghanistan required international funding for the reintegration plan, which aims to provide economic opportunities for rank-and-file Taliban who lay down their arms and return to their villages.
The Afghan government did not know exactly how much the plan would cost but it "would be peanuts compared to the costs of the war that we are engaged in Afghanistan", Zakhilwal said on the sidelines of a conference in London on the country`s future.
"It definitely will run into hundreds of millions of dollars. Initially ... we would expect it somewhere in the range of about USD 1 billion in the next three years or so," he said.
The money would be spent on creating job opportunities, rural development, giving a livelihood to the families of former insurgents and providing a secure environment, he said.
(With Agencies’ inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!